Shawnee Summer Basketball League
For girls who will be in grades 5-8 in Fall of 2008
Division 1 = Cancelled due to Eaton pulling out both teams.
Division 2 - teams containing both 7th and 8th graders.
Summer Schedule - Excel format
Games will start Sunday, June 9, then a tournament in the middle of July.
- June games will be played at Preble Shawnee Sunday afternoons between 2-5pm. There is a July Tournament that will be held at a site yet to be determined.
- All players must reside or attend school at the school district of the team that they are playing for.
- We will schedule 2 referee's for each game.
- Will pair teams for the final tournament in a competive manner.
- In addition to league fee's that will cover referee's, gym time,
etc. Each team will pay a $100 deposit. On the day of the tournament,
each organization will get a refund of the $100 provided that their
team has attended all games.
- If both coaches agree a game can be rescheduled. 1 week notice is required.
- For teams that want to practice, each team must get their own gym time. So contact your administration.
- Younger age groups can start practicing in May. Due to OHSAA rules, the 7-8 grade teams cannot start until June 1.
- Schools are allowed to field 2 teams if enough decide to play.
Bear in mind that with summer activities, that we have seen that it is
best to have your teams loaded. However we ask that the teams are mixed
age groups and talents. This is meant to be instructional and so having
a strong team that beats everyone and a weak team that doesn't win a
game takes away from the spirit of this. So having a draft or a random
selection would both be acceptable ways to set teams.
- Uniforms: Most representatives agreed that t-shirts would be
best for those teams that don't have access to game jersey.
Each school can choose their own logo on front. But each t-shirt must
have a number on the back. Each team that needs to use tshirts will
be assigned a unique color.
- Hold Harmless agreements are to be signed by a parent of each player. Coaches can go ahead and make copies of this
waiver form and hand out at signups, or their first practice.
Game rules - OSHAA rules with the following exceptions.
- Game clock is a running clock - stops only for injury or timeouts.
- Each game will consist of two 16 minute halves.
- Intermission is 5 minutes.
- Overtimes are 3 minutes and each team will get 1 additional timeout.
- Division I only can use 1/2 court defense - no pressing.
- Each player must play in each half of each game for at least 3 minutes.
- Top team is the home team and supplies someone to keep the game scorebook.